Recipe: Braised short ribs
- 50ml olive oil
- 6 beef short ribs (about 500gm each)
- 1 each onion and carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml red wine
- 400gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 500ml veal stock
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add ribs, cook, turning once, until golden (3-5 minutes), remove ribs and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low, add onion, carrot and garlic, stir until golden and tender (8-10 minutes).
- Add wine, bring to the simmer, and add tomato and stock bring to the simmer.
- Add ribs and thyme, cover, braise in oven until tender (2 ½-3 hours).
- Set ribs aside, strain liquid into a saucepan over medium heat (discard solids), and reduce to a thick sauce (15-20minutes).
- Just before serving add ribs and warm through.
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. rosemary, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- 60 ml (1/4) cup extra virgin olive oil
Pound herbs, lemon rind, garlic and a pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle until a coarse paste forms, then stir in oil, spoon over hot ribs.